After looking at the number of doubles (one side winning both league fixtures between the two clubs) that the South Wales derby has produced in history (0), I thought it would be interesting to cover the other derbies in the Football Pyramid to see how many doubles they have accrued over time.
A few interesting points from the results:
- Arsenal and Manchester United have managed 14 doubles over their rivals, more than any other derby.
- Everton vs Liverpool is the most competed derby fixture in England, having been played in 91 seasons (this season is it’s 92nd as a top flight fixture)
- Southampton and Portsmouth have only been in the same division during fifteen seasons – I would have thought it would have been more – I even checked the stats again to make sure I wasn’t going wrong somewhere!
- Chelsea have done the double over Fulham eleven times. Fulham have never done the double over Chelsea.
|Team 1||Team 2||Seasons||Dbls1||Dbls2||TotalDbls|
|Man United||Manchester City||71||14||4||18|
|Birmingham City||Aston Villa||54||7||11||18|
|Sheffield United||Sheff Weds||56||10||6||16|
|Ipswich Town||Norwich City||40||6||4||10|
|Exeter City||Plymouth Argyle||28||3||5||8|
|Notts County||Nottingham Forest||43||2||5||7|
|West Ham United||Millwall||11||1||0||1|
|Cardiff City||Swansea City||26||0||0||0|
- Stats correct up until the end of the 2009/2010 season.
- I have almost certainly missed out a massive derby (or you may not consider games above “true derbies”). I apologise wholeheartedly if you are offended.